Friday, August 30, 2013

To Catch a Thief

French justice was served as 2 pickpockets were nabbed on my train yesterday.  I was coming back home from The Forum at Les Halles--Chatelet station, which (I think) is the biggest station in Paris.  It also connects to the airport and a giant mall (The Forum), so people are carrying luggage and it is always jam-packed--in fact, someone needs to slap me if I decide I want to go back over there--think of The Galleria & Intercontinental Airport combined...good pickins' for pockets, if you know what I mean.

The metro was really crowded, which is prime pickpocket time....Next thing I know, a man ran by me (which took real skill on a crowded metro) and yelled "Pickpockets!!!"  There was a scuffle, and then there was screaming, (in French of course) and then 2 teenage girls were branded as the pickpockets. The man who was the head pickpocket catcher started yelling at the girls and asking passengers to call the police.  I understood everything that was happening, but just in case, a lady sitting across from me narrated the story (in English, which I appreciated) as she & I bonded through desire to stay away from the catching, yet remain close enough to view the suspects.

So, just to pass along my new friend's warning:  She said the pickpockets are always girls, which was not what I pictured at all.  She said there are always 2-3 of them.  One gets your attention, while the others get into your bag or wallet.  I guess I always picture criminals as ugly looking men who need to shave and wear a permanent scowl.  These girls looked like they could have been friends of my 2 daughters. Totally normal teenage girls.

The pickpocket catcher (with encouragement from the crowd) corralled the girls and held their wrists for the next 5 stops, all the while lecturing the girls and stopping occasionally to address the interested passengers with details about his crime-fighting expertise and plan to deposit them at the nearest police station.  A fellow pickpocket vigilante managed to call the police from the train (there is a panic button on every metro) and apparently, the Charles De Gaulle/Etoile stop had the nearest police station.  Pickpocket Catcher man dragged them off to justice as the rest of the train nodded their approval.  I, meanwhile, snapped a photo.  Couldn't help myself.
The Pickpocket Catcher





1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's an interestig train ride! Did he yell "pickpockets" in English? Or do the French borrow that word directly?

    Looking at your picture, well, that doesn't look like any French guy -- his shorts are too short. Unless fashion dictates have changed. Shorts have gotten shorter here this summer, but I hardly ever saw a French guy in any kind of shorts -- cropped pants was as high as they went. Shorts wearers were tourists. Anyway, was he French?

    And girls, were they Romani (gypsies)? Have you seen the ones at the Eiffel tower? http://www.flickr.com/photos/toomanythoughts/1427300034/ They were there every time I went (3 or 4 times).

    ReplyDelete