Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Not All Who Wander are Lost...

Bonjour, Ya'll!
I love that quote by JRR Tolkien, but I have to admit, most of the time when I wander, I AM INDEED LOST.  But, this week, instead of wandering by accident, I went wandering with a couple of friends and managed NOT to get lost.
Our starting point:  Gare de Lyon

My friend Michele found an interesting-looking neighborhood for us to visit, so Katie and I were game to go wandering into the 12th arrondissement beginning at Gare de Lyon, the historic train station. After checking that out, we found Rue Cremieux, a small street with a row of colored houses. The trompe l'oeil painting on the facade was really cool with butterflies, birds and vines.  Really neat street!  We also found an Arts & Crafts Museum, along with lots of art stores, paint/decor stores and all types of home improvement.  I enjoyed just wandering along with no schedule or agenda and just seeing what was around.  It goes without saying we found an old church that was really pretty, too, Saint Antoine.

So typical Paris, right?  Looks like a postcard.




Saint Antoine


My Midwest friends are into walking. They are from climates that get cold & snowy, so the weather in Paris is amazing for them because in the US, they are snow-bound all winter.  They find beautiful places for us to walk for exercise, set up a time & place and then we all meet. (aside:  I usually get lost before I meet them)  We get hungry from the walking, so we also pick a restaurant to try. Here's 5 yummy (non-tourist) places you might like to consider checking out on your next trip to Paris:

1.  Balls--my friend Bara found this one, which is waaaayyyy out on the line 1 metro in Saint Ambroise.  It is all meatballs.  You choose vegetarian, chicken or beef for your "ball" and then choose your sauce like red, yogurt or curry.  It's a tiny place (maybe 10 tables) and the balls/sides/sauces are wonderful. Get the lentil salad!! Inexpensive and you get 5 balls in an order.  Claim to fame:  I tried every flavor and they are all tres bien!!  Kinda sketchy area--sorry to Bara because I got lost again and she had to wait for me to get there... :(  ballsrestaurant.com 47 Rue Saint-Maur, Paris

2.  L'Entrepot--Jeanne-Marie found this one, which is the French version of The Granada in Dallas or Movie Tavern in Houston--except it is French--so way more charm!!  No chain-food chicken nuggets or teen movies with bad acting & good hair.  Beautiful restaurant with terrace and cinema upstairs.  Super!!  79 rue Francis de Pressense 75014

Paris Ya-Yas Diana, Teresa, Jeanne-Marie & Patrice.  Finally got to wear our lunettes de soleil on the terrace of L'Entrepot!

3.  Schwartz's Deli--my friend Lynn brought me here the first month of school.  All the Americans know this place which makes fabulous burgers, fries, & deli sandwiches.  Just like home, only costs a fortune.  LOL  There's one at Trocadero & Ternes along with another location I haven't tried yet.  Paul took his Total peeps there last week--everyone loved it!  They also serve Corona beer, which makes this Texan feel less homesick.   One of the only places I've eaten here that brings you the tab quickly to get you out the door--but, hey, there's other Americans waiting! 22 Avenue Niel 75017 Paris (Ternes)

4. La Coincidence--Diana, Jeanne-Marie & I tried this one out in the 16th.  Only a short walk from Victor Hugo metro stop, it's a small cafe with no menu.  What you can order is written on a chalkboard--get the plate of the day, whatever it is, you'll like it.  Great food & service, priced very inexpensively.  No fancy decor--just a neighborhood hang-out. 15 Rue Mesnil, 75116 Paris 16.

5. Bistroy Les Papilles--this place doesn't have a Michelin star yet, but I feel sure one is coming.  It's actually a wine bar/deli/wine cellar and once again, there is no menu!  Located near Luxembourg garden, it also has a grocery store in it.  Only about 6 tables, but one of my favorites so far!  You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit--they pick your wine for you, too.  Hard to get a reservation, but worth it.
30 Rue Gay Lussac 75005 Paris, near Jardin de Luxembourg.










2 comments: