Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Stained Glass in the City

  I don't have enough superlatives to describe iconic Paris department stores Printemps and Galeries Lafayette.  Decked out for Christmas, each with amazing stained-glass domes, outstanding Christmas window displays, and out of this world decor--but, which dome is better?

First, Printemps:  All gussied up for Christmas, even the jaded Parisians were huddled around the windows taking pictures of the Christmas displays.  Tricked out by Prada, the windows feature bears wearing big diamond jewelry swinging and dancing around the windows holding Prada purses.  My pictures weren't fabulous, so I found these:
http://www.my-lifestyle-news.com/2013/11/prada-x-printemps-paris-joyful.html

Yes, Gwyneth Paltrow was here unveiling the windows the day BEFORE I visited--bummer!!! (but much less crowded, right?  Optimist!)

 The giant Prada Christmas trees inside are stunning!  I heard the view from the top of Printemps was one of the best in Paris, but I got so side-tracked by the restaurant, I didn't make it to the top...today.  Will make it next time!!  Food was terrific, plus they offer a fixed-price menu, that by Paris standards, is practically a bargain!  I did get a great picture of our beautiful view of Sacre Coeur from our seat.  Plus, the dome, the DOME!!  the stained glass!!  Oh my, it is so gorgeous!  (Okay, that was way too many exclamation marks in that paragraph, but you get the idea).

Printemps is arranged by designer, not by categories such as shoes, clothes, etc.  Each designer has their own "store" and Chanel even has a bouncer with a velvet rope, LOL.  It's all quite impressive.  My friend Diana and I found one store we especially liked that was a Spanish boutique called Bimba & Lola--Carolina Herrera's nieces--super hip & fun without the giant price tag.  It's fun discovering new designers! (more exclamation marks!!)


One of my favs:  Kenzo art deco look


So next to Galeries Lafayette...the store first opened here in 1895 and the impressive structure it is today was completed in 1915.  

Stunning doesn't come close to describing it.  To see this all decorated for Christmas, is just amazing!  The Printemps windows were better, but the huge tree inside Galeries Lafayette wins my award for retail heaven on earth.  Did I mention it also has a champagne bar??
I'm just going to post pictures and you see what you think. Why try writing?  I'm going back as fast as I can!!!
Galeries Lafayette's Christmas sponsor is Swatch. (Did you notice that?)
Oh yeah, Galeries Lafayette has an incredible DOME, too.

We did go to the top here!  It turned out to be a clear sunny day--great view of the Opera House!

Cheers, Ya'll!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment