Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Working on a Dream


Bonjour, Ya'll!
I'm back in Houston.  Yes, back after only one year.
In Houston.
Maybe for forever.

And, I'm feeling very sad about this.  So I haven't been able to come up with a cheery, funny post about some crazy thing that happened to me, like that time when I got lost and walked 10 miles through a couple of towns.  There are so many words in my head about this, but getting them on paper is hard.

On or about July 15, Paul was given an assignment back in Houston.  I just renewed my visa about 3 weeks before.  The girls just finished their first year in a new school, in a new country.  We just survived one of the most stressful years of our lives.  We just took a breath and bought a new rug.  We were really excited about starting the next year in a place where we would know our way around and feel at home.  Katherine was finally happy there.  Laura had a boyfriend.  We were the ones saying goodbye to friends instead of the ones selling all our stuff.  We just relaxed for a moment.

Sometimes I feel like it never happened.  Did I really sell my house, cars, furniture and clothes and leave Houston?  It's weird moving to a place you already lived before.  Like when you try to register your kids in school, and you don't have an address any more.  It feels so surreal.

Back in 2008, Paul and I took a vacation to Paris.  As we stood at Trocadero watching the Eiffel Tower sparkle, I told him I wanted to live in Paris some day. (I know, totally cliche, right?)
But it did happen.  We DID move to Paris and we lived there all last year.  In spite of what people told us, we liked it.  We REALLY liked it.  And, yes, sometimes French people are rude, but there are many, many nice French people, too, and it was a great experience for us.

But today, I'm feeling a little like this:

So, here I start another chapter of my big fat redneck life.  I don't know if anyone will want to read about my life here in Houston.  Maybe it won't be funny or interesting...ya'll will have to let me know.


 So I leave you now with this, from one of my favorite musicals, "Dreamgirls" because it is SO hard to say goodbye not only to Paris, but to all the wonderful people I met there.

5 comments:

  1. This must be a disappointment when you were feeling so secure in your new home.
    But, something will embrace you and your family and you will know the reason for this change. Have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it has been so very sad...but, I am lucky to have my dream come true to live in Paris at all!! Gotta smile because it happened, but right now I'm still crying because it ended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Teresa, I can relate to your story. We also had to leave a "new" place after only ten months. Not to go back home, but to another country. I know, it's hard. Everybody has found his or her "new place" in the country, in the school, new friends, etc.
    I am so glad I got to know you, with your positive spirit and all your energy. I wish you all the best and I am sure people in Houston are glad you're back, and we will miss you in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well , Teresa, It sounds to me like a challenge to make Texas as adventurous as possible. Here are some fun ideas that I have been wanting to do but still haven't: 1) Texas wine country tour 2) Tailgate at the Nut Cracker Market (mimosas and all!) 3) bike ride through some scenic areas 4) fly to Marfa to see the lights. I am sure there are several other things to do locally that would be fun and only in Texas. I am so proud of your attitude and feel your sorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ya'll for your kind words! Looking forward to reconnecting with all my Texas Gals!! Karlijn, I'm signing up to be an ex-pat Buddy!! Will miss you, sweet lady!!

    ReplyDelete